View Single Post
      05-24-2020, 03:51 PM   #2
rlmesq
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i M Sport

Before you decide, make sure it isn't considered a moving violation that will result in a point on your driving record and jack up your insurance rates. If it is, check if there's an option to keep it off your record by attending traffic school.

No contest (nolo contendere if you like Latin) results in the same conviction as a guilty plea, but it might not be admissible in a civil suit; for example, if failure to dim your lights caused an accident.

It appears to be a strict liability statute, which means you're guilty regardless of whether your high beams adversely affect other drivers.

Quote:
NH Rev Stat § 265:114 (2015)Dimming Lights. – The driver of any vehicle upon approaching, overtaking or while following within a distance of approximately 150 feet of another vehicle on a way during the period from 1/2 hour after sunset to 1/2 hour before sunrise shall dim his headlights.
California's high beam law is a little less specific.

Quote:
California Vehicle Code §22409(a) Whenever the driver of a vehicle approaches an oncoming vehicle within 500 feet, he shall use a distribution of light or composite beam so aimed that the glaring rays are not projected into the eyes of the oncoming driver.The lowermost distribution of light specified in this article shall be deemed to avoid glare at all times regardless of road contour.
I've only seen it used once in 20 years, where the cop used it as probable cause to stop my client for DUI (but people don't hire me to handle traffic tickets, either, because my fees would be many times the cost of the ticket).
Appreciate 1
wdb4673.00