View Single Post
      05-24-2020, 04:54 PM   #7
X3power
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive28i 2015

Garage List
Thumbs up

Thank you, rlmesq for the quick and detailed reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlmesq View Post
Before you decide, make sure it isn't considered a moving violation that will result in a point on your driving record and jack up your insurance rates. If it is, check if there's an option to keep it off your record by attending traffic school.
According to the officer, there are no points for the ticket. I suppose that means it isn't a moving violation. I searched online today to confirm, but I couldn't find a legitimate source to check.

Quote:
No contest (nolo contendere if you like Latin) results in the same conviction as a guilty plea, but it might not be admissible in a civil suit; for example, if failure to dim your lights caused an accident.

It appears to be a strict liability statute, which means you're guilty regardless of whether your high beams adversely affect other drivers.
I take it you mean that the ticket is valid whether or not the high beams actually caused anyone issues.

Does that mean NoLo looks like the best option?

Quote:

I've only seen it used once in 20 years, where the cop used it as probable cause to stop my client for DUI (but people don't hire me to handle traffic tickets, either, because my fees would be many times the cost of the ticket).
Yeah, I didn't think these are very common. Probably more than every other car that passed me had their high beams on the entire time, and somehow I got lucky last night with this ticket.