11-01-2019, 03:05 PM   #34
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Just remember, "Atlanta is an hour away from Atlanta".

It's a great town, but I found it pretty terrible if you have to work, commute, and/or travel out of Hartsfield. The traffic is just boggling. I lived in Alpharetta and my office was at GA400 and the perimeter. My drive was 11 miles. If I left at 6am, I could usually get to work by 645am. If I left at 4pm, I could get home by 430-450pm. If I delayed going into or leaving work by 15-30 minutes, my commute time increased by 20-30+ minutes. I don't mind driving so as long as I'm moving, but living in crawling ATL traffic is annoying as hell. It would take my wife 30-45 minutes to go to the post office that was 3 miles from our house. I've found the traffic in LA, Chicago, and DC to be be more acceptable than ATL traffic. I just can't handle not knowing how long it may take me to get somewhere. In ATL, getting across town might take you 30 minutes or 3 hours.

If I moved back to GA, it would be La Grange or north GA. ATL is good for visiting and terrible if you value free time. I worked with people that commuted 2-3+ hours a day. I also found it amusing that the majority I met in the area were transplants from the Northeast. Lots and lots of NY and NJ people in ATL.
When we lived in Atlanta, we were just a few miles from Piedmont Park. If we decided to drive to the park after work, it would typically take us 45 minutes

We moved to Florida from Atlanta and that has been our biggest takeaway from leaving. I can get from one corner of our city to the opposite corner in about 15-20 minutes. One of my wife and I's recent discussions was what would we do if I took another job in Atlanta. We left it with we would have to live IN the city for a job in the city with a huge payout to make it worth the frustration. Or we would have to find a job somewhere towards north Georgia so we could live there (much prefer the mountains and lakes). If we went for the latter, we'd probably just keep going north and find something in Tennessee (no income tax!).

I'll always have a good heart for ATL, but I honestly cannot see myself moving back now that I've left after 30 years there.
Appreciate 0