07-16-2017, 10:39 AM   #83
Efthreeoh
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 & Z4 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Consciously, I would say people aren't aware they are afraid.

Subconsciously, they are terrified.

All we constantly hear is about how it'll never work, it'll fail, they are going under, no one will ever produce them, they won't be able to drive, they won't be able to charge, the batteries will die, etc. They try to throw up a million reasons why it can't work, yet, they are out there, working. For everyone? Is a Panamera Turbo S for everyone? Is a Kia Soul for everyone? Heck no, so that holds about as much water as a dry lake.

Is it practical? Of course, for those that are using it, it's 100% practical. Otherwise, they wouldn't be using it.
No flame meant.. but what in the hell does that mean? Subconsciously terrified? Terrified about what? I don't think anyone is terrified about a propulsion technology that could be better than the current ICE system if it can become the replacement technology via equivalent convenience, performance and ownership cost.

I for one have seriously looked at the Chevy Bolt to replace my E90 as my daily driver (175 miles a day) for the following reasons:

1) The total cost of ownership works out to be on par with a similar-class ICE equivalent. But taking $7,500 of the price off via the EV tax incentive is what makes the economics work. Once the $7,500 goes away, it might be difficult to maintain EV sales with fuel prices at the current level. My

2) I like the performance of the electric motor propulsion system. The torque characteristics of electric motors makes this possible. What I've come to realize is EVs drive like manual transmission'd cars (properly driven MT's ) because even the best ICE automatics are tuned for minimum fuel consumption and are never in the correct gear for aggressive cut-and-thrust driving. The Bolt drives really well; like a hot-hatch. Being that manual transmissions are going away from the market in normal cars (i.e. not performance cars) and everything is now turbo'd for an enthusiast like me, an EV makes sense driving dynamics-wise.

However, for me, a winter's day commute is dicey even with the Bolt's 238-mile range. I'd need a recharge at work during the winter. My company does not see the advantage of adding charging stations to our office complex; I've told HR "good luck with hiring Millennials." I'm ready to present the benefits analysis and the cost to add some EVSE, but Leadership (they love that term) doesn't want to listen (because they are cheap bastards ).

Regarding the "going under" comment. That has to do with Tesla. Looking at the company's finances without the benefit of legislation-led market incentives (i.e. emissions requirements, tax incentives, carbon credits, etc.) Tesla would have died out long ago. I still don't see how Tesla gets $30K of cost out of production of the Model 3 if one considers the investment needed to bring the car to market. Yeah, there looks to be 400,000+ "orders" (really production position) but there are a lot of variables to what the Model 3's market share will probably be. Again, I'm all for Tesla being a success and it's great to see an American company leading the EV charge, but it's not an intrinsic pure market-based economic story. I've read a few business articles that analysis shows Tesla building the Model 3 at less cost and at a profit (barely) than GM can the Bolt (at a loss). I don't believe the analysis.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission.