View Single Post
      06-30-2019, 10:03 PM   #4
Britbimmer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M240i Esterol Blue

There have been some studies that go away from this model and suggest it is better to eat over a much shorter period - see Intermittent Fasting (IF) … some people fast 12 hours, some 16, 18, even 20. Bear in mind that probably 8 of those hours are during the night - so your goal would be to delay your first meal, until noon or maybe 1-2 pm. Then eat your meals over X hours based on how extreme you want to be - 6-8 hours seems pretty easy ( but some people only allow 2 hours for example....) then eat nothing - no snacks, no soda - only water and green tea...

There are said to be lots of health benefits, basically because your body can regenerate and cleanse but only when you are not eating/digesting food. This means you tend to replace old cells with new, vs. if you eat often, you tend to just repair old cells, which can lead to issues like cancer, and which does not optimize training for muscle bulk etc. Also your other organs, like Gall Bladder, Kidneys, Liver all get some down time which allows them to catch up on clearing toxins, rebuilding damaged tissues etc.

One study I read showed that if you eat your food at a certain time, for example - lunch at noon every day, then if you (completely) fasted say 3 days, your hunger would still peak every day at noon (in this case), then it would retreat again until the next established meal time... i.e. you are more hungry because your body "knows" its food time, just like a dog looking at its owner when its feeding time... it also said that hunger gets to a certain point, but doesn't grow beyond that.... so if you can put up with hunger it will only get to a certain level, it doesn't grow in proportion to time without food. This means that your hunger pattern based on 6 meals is more a "learned" behavior, and can be changed or broken by a pattern change. The new patter will only take 3 days or so to establish based on the hunger "tide" described above...

I wont go into more detail about intermittent fasting, but I have cycled it on and off and found it made me feel better, lose weight, gain muscle etc. There is also a version where you fast more or less all day 2 days out of the week - eating on 600 calories on those days and eat normally the rest. People tend to gorge on the day after fast day but they generally only overeat by 10-15% so are still in calorific deficit if weight loss is your goal. Over time, the subjects stop overeating even on the days after fasts as the body adjusts.

All the forms of IF I have tried led me to reduce my appetite and cravings for junk food and when I was training helped me to add muscle, recover faster and not add fat...

There is a great documentary about it on the BBC (I will try and find if anyone is interested) you can find on YouTube last time I checked, and also look up Kino Body on YouTube - he uses it in his training programs. He advocates drinking fizzy water, and then black coffee in the morning to stem hunger and delay your first meal, however I find its pretty easy to hold out until 1pm for my first meal, and it gets easier a few days in even if you struggle day 1.
Also look for a Joe Rogan podcast about IF, which has a PhD who talked through all the advantages and they are manifold... (and I seem to remember she was pretty cute too)

A lot of celebs like Hugh Jackman (when prepping for Wolverine), use IF for body transformations, but they may do the best of both by combining the fasts with 6- 8 meals day. i.e. They may eat all their food in 6 hours, but they eat 6-8 meals/snacks in that period.
Training while fasted can also feel great.

Lots of other studies suggest that it doesn't matter what you eat so much as when you eat. For example, people often take certain supplements right after a workout to make as much protein available for muscle growth. More recent studies suggest that having enough protein for the 72 hours after a workout is key, but the timing of when they are consumed is less critical... i.e. You can work out fasted, or after eating and then fast, and as long as you get enough macro nutrients and have the correct ratios of carbs/protein/fats over the next 72 hours you will do well.

Of course opinions vary, but there is a lot of independent research suggesting this approach is worth considering.
Appreciate 1
arkie6397.00