View Single Post
      10-16-2021, 12:25 PM   #13
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf993 View Post
Oh, I got your meaning. I also know that if someone was just getting ready to sell you could do a cover up job and save a few thousand on the proper repair.
I'm guilty of that and feel bad to this day.

Sold our 1940s house in New Hampshire back in 2011 when we moved back to Seattle. We had a rusted out cast iron waste pipe with about a 10' run in the basement where it was nearly horizontal, ran along a wall, then out the foundation to the outside. I could see it rusting and knew it was done. A buddy and I replaced only that section, certain that the rest of the run outside the house and to the sewer was also going to be in bad shape. Where it exited the house it was about 6 feet down and shot right under a brand new poured cement walkway and stairs leading to the front door, and between 2 gigantic maple trees. it was January, in New England, and the house was about to go on the market. A "proper" fix all the way to the street would have been $25k in excavation, repairs, and concrete work. Permits, etc. Plus it was all under feet of snow. Well the eventual buyer's inspector found the replaced section and smartly suggested a sewer scope. Figured I was cooked. Fortunately, the buyers got all worked up over wanting a radon test and forgot about the sewer scope. It wasn't 3 months that they were in the house and that outside section of pipe collapsed and backed up sewage into the basement. There's some karma waiting for me out there somewhere on that one. I really felt like a dick.
Appreciate 2
Murf99314114.00
Buug95917426.00