10-15-2019, 04:47 PM   #119
unluky
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 z4 3.0 Sport & 15 X5 35i XD

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Education has no bearing on financial responsibility. My mother has no higher education....actually she doesn't have any education past elementary/junior high. Explaining her situation would require a whole separate post. Regardless, she managed to save quite a bit of money and put both myself and my brother through college. All of this working labor intensive jobs.

I dated a young lady a long time ago who has a degree in accounting and worked at a large corporation's HR department. She was doing work around the company's 401k plan and did the talks to the employees about enrolling in the plan. The ironic thing was she didn't believe any of the stuff she was told to message. She YOLO'd.

100%. My father was raised as 1 of 9 children and was poor enough he never had shoes till the snow fell. His father died when he was 5 - so they were the definition of POOR. But it was the 30's - so lots of poor people - they all made due. He quit high school his senior year to join the military and never finished or did college. But from those poor beginnings he understood money and taught us to be very conservative and to buy with money not credit for everyday things.

He certainly was not "rich" by today's standards, but retired when he was ready, had a pretty nice retirement and died a millionaire. That does not mean as much today as it did when he was young, but he left this world debt free and left a nice chuck of land to my sister and I that we enjoy a modest profit off each year. We are both doing just fine ourselves, but I think with him starting with nothing - the fact he left us something was one of his best accomplishments to him.

It seems each generation loses 50% of their fear of debt because they no longer knew anyone that was as poor as they were back then. When you went hunting to eat - not sport. Crazy how times have changed. You can have a iPhone X and still be considered poor by today's standards.
GenXer1354.00