Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40i G29  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory View Post
A shade off Unicorn but still a car sighting thing. I drive I40 Raleigh to Ocean Isle Beach & return quite a bit. I40 is pretty lonely as far as area population so there are not many places to get gas or plug in an electric.

One thing that seems to stick out are Tesla's rolling along around 65mph. State speed limit is 70MPH & general traffic flow is about 85MPH.

Can't remember seeing one in our quick traffic flow a bit over the general flow. Am I imaging things?

BTW great feature of our Z4 M40i with fuel prices running up. My trip door to door is just over 200miles. Average speed 80+MPH Average fuel used 30+MPG.

The overall performance of these cars are way above average with fuel economy better than some below average performers.
On my recent mountain trip with the Z4 M40i I averaged 34mpg on the way home. I was in comfort mode at my normal cruising speed, which is mainly in the passing lane. To me this is incredible given the performance available on demand. I also just came back from a 2,300 mile trip up the East coast in the Tesla (~$200 in charging cost), and since I typically use full self driving I did find myself more often one lane over and running slightly slower. Maybe it’s just part of the leisurely vibe, or could be the more utilitarian nature of the beast. It’s true that as speed increases efficiency does drop off. Many of the early Teslas also included unlimited supercharging (not mine), so they are basically driving for free when on the road for the life of the car. That was gone by the time I purchased ours. I did bag 2,000 free supercharging miles which basically paid for all our highway travel for the better part of the first year.
Appreciate 1