07-31-2013, 03:54 AM   #2
JesseS
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 3/15 DA-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorsport_cat View Post
Hey everyone,

I am 16 and I have had a passion for cars my whole life. For the past years, I have had a passion for BMWs, more specifically.

I have always thought of what I want to do for a living later, but no matter what I thought of, I knew that cars just get me going, so I really want to work at BMW as an engineer. My reason for this may be short and/or flawed, and you may think that I have time to change what I want to do for a living a 1000 times, but I find cars utterly interesting, and I have always been interested in how they work, as well as in the way they are made.

Thanks to Bimmerpost, my view on cars and more importantly BMW has changed a lot over the past few years. I am on Bimmerpost daily, and even in class.

Are there any engineers who work or have worked at BMW amongst us at Bimmerpost? If so, please write a brief summary of what you have done to obtain such a position. It would be greatly appreciated!

Remember that my passion is what drives me. Thank you so much!
Engineering of this type is a heavily regimented field, you'll likely need an undergrad degree in a supporting discipline (translation: not so much on the liberal arts schools) like physics, chem, etc and then a degree in mechanical engineering or even automotive engineering. These "hard" engineering fields tend to be very highly regulated.

While you're going to university though, you'll absolutely want to get an Internship. If you can arrange to go to school in Europe it could be very helpful, and you might even get an Internship at BMW but they wouldn't be your only option -- after all, you might very well discover that in the future someone else is doing work more interesting to you than BMW.

More importantly than that, you need to really enjoy it; not just cars, but engineering itself. You might feel passionate now, and maybe you always will, but only you know that. If you can already take a car apart and put it back together and go on for hours about how everything works and how everything should work in a perfect world, that means you're truly passionate. It's not enough to just love cars, you have to be driven with an unquenchable knowledge for figuring things out mechanically. I'm not saying that you can't have a career without that sort of passion, I'm saying that if you do really have it then you'll do great things, it'll actually seem pretty easy and you'll love your career (which is what really matters).

If that describes you, then you are most fortunate. Most people don't have a roadmap set out for them in terms of what they really want (I am one of the few who always knew what his career would be which is why I am ranting about it -- although my passion is not this type of engineering. ).
Appreciate 0