Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
No edge case. You're just being ridiculous. I can point to numerous locations I can drive out to from the DC Metro region where there is limited cell coverage and definitely no Wifi. You're bringing up ridiculous solutions for people that are just going on a hike or on vacation.
Eh. I don't think bringing an external backup device is ridiculous at all. If you are storing something important to you, why would you run the risk of losing it? Even if the data was not inhibited from being recovered by a 3rd party, why go through the trouble? What if the data was permanently damaged? (i.e. in a fire).

I take a TON of video and photos. Once they are downloaded off my camera(s), they are immediately loaded onto 2 separate storage devices. One I use for day-to-day editing (my laptop doesnt have enough space to handle some of the longer 4K content), and the other gets dropped into a cheap fireproof safe. It takes maybe 15-20 minutes depending on how much data I have to backup, but I know its always going to be there if something happens.

Now I'm not saying carry around a fireproof safe when you're on vacation, but its honestly not hard to get a cheap SSD/USB-C external drive for added insurance.
Appreciate 0