View Single Post
      08-06-2019, 07:09 PM   #49
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitm2 View Post
Eh. I don't think bringing an external backup device is ridiculous at all. If you are storing something important to you, why would you run the risk of losing it? Even if the data was not inhibited from being recovered by a 3rd party, why go through the trouble? What if the data was permanently damaged? (i.e. in a fire).

I take a TON of video and photos. Once they are downloaded off my camera(s), they are immediately loaded onto 2 separate storage devices. One I use for day-to-day editing (my laptop doesnt have enough space to handle some of the longer 4K content), and the other gets dropped into a cheap fireproof safe. It takes maybe 15-20 minutes depending on how much data I have to backup, but I know its always going to be there if something happens.

Now I'm not saying carry around a fireproof safe when you're on vacation, but its honestly not hard to get a cheap SSD/USB-C external drive for added insurance.
It is ridiculous. Look around you when you travel and see if anyone is backing up their stuff while on their vacation. Ask any of your acquaintances if they travel with an external drive or some other means to proactively backup pictures they take. I would bet the percentage is pretty small. Not everyone is tech savvy or operate in a way that is best practices for those that are tech savvy.
Appreciate 0