View Single Post
      08-01-2017, 02:09 PM   #55
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law View Post
It's funny because history actually shows the opposite.

Something like redesigning a differential or modifying the E9X M3 differential is playground stuff for BMW M.
Contrary to what you've said, they did it before with the E85/6 Z4 M. Even if they are swappable between E46 and E85/86, they are a different design with a different part number, and they would've easily developed one for the E89, except the bean counters likely vetoed it.
Actually... you're not quite up to par when it comes to bmw parts.
You see the e46 m3 LSD diff got a design change around their mid life. In february '02 to be precise. If you read the ETK you can see that for yourself.
What you see there is the pre 02-'02 M3 style lsd and the z4m diff, which is obviously based on the latter one.
I can see now how you got to your conclusions, but as you see there is a perfect explanation for that.
Sometimes you see m3 diff cores for sale that have the z4m style core. Then you immediately know that those come from past 02-'02 m3's

So they definately didnt do a redesign of the z4m LSD core, its the core from the latter (post '02) e46 M3.
I do believe the z4m got a different diff cover with some extra cooling fins, but thats a very simple/cheap part to change (all e85 z4's got extra cooling fins on their diffs compared to their e46 counterparts btw) compared to a diff.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 0