United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
2011.5 BMW M3  [10.00]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
Actually... you're not quite up to par when it comes to bmw parts.
You see the e46 m3 LSD diff got a design change around their mid life. In february '02 to be precise. If you read the ETK you can see that for yourself.
What you see there is the pre 02-'02 M3 style lsd and the z4m diff, which is obviously based on the latter one.
I can see now how you got to your conclusions, but as you see there is a perfect explanation for that.
Sometimes you see m3 diff cores for sale that have the z4m style core. Then you immediately know that those come from past 02-'02 m3's

So they definately didnt do a redesign of the z4m LSD core, its the core from the latter (post '02) e46 M3.
I do believe the z4m got a different diff cover with some extra cooling fins, but thats a very simple/cheap part to change (all e85 z4's got extra cooling fins on their diffs compared to their e46 counterparts btw) compared to a diff.
Everything I've read and seen (with the two differentials opened up side-by-side) indicates a different design.
While this is a separate topic, if you want to keep discussing the E46 M3 and Z4 M LSDs, you can link me to literature or photos indicating otherwise, though I'd much rather not, because that's a different discussion from what's at hand entirely.

So I digress, because regardless, the LSD is a moot point to make anyways.
To suggest that M was not able to properly design or modify a differential for a hypothetical E89 M is a pretty big claim.
Ultimately if it was down to a decision of cost of redesigning an LSD coupled with the fact that BMW was already able to skirt homologation rules that ultimately spelled the death of any E89 Z4 M coming into fruition, then for enthusiasts, that is sad (a missed opportunity as mentioned above).

And that's my point here, I'm not here to argue whether or not an E89 Z4 M would be cost effective.
It might've been and it might not have been, we'll never truly know.
We can only speculate.
But one thing is for certain, the capability [for BMW M] was definitely there and it would've been an awesome car.

E9x M3 Press/Media Archives Thread | S65-based Racing Engines Thread
Appreciate 0