Drives: 05 M3, 04 M3iT , 01 M5, 17 i3

Garage List
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2005 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2004 BMW M3 Wagon  [0.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agstexas View Post
Tesla kool-aid is tainted.... likely the biggest lie the eco crowd has ever been fed.

The mining process for lithium alone is off the charts compared to traditional coal. Funny part is the earth has a process for absorbing carbon emissions, yet not one to handle lithium ion batteries lol.

Here's a Harvard business school analysis:

https://rctom.hbs.org/submission/tes...on-batteries/#

"Once a battery reaches the end of its life, there is recycling and disposal to be considered. Currently, over 90% of lead-acid batteries used in typical gasoline-powered vehicles are recycled. Compare that to less than 5% of lithium-ion batteries. Experts project 11m tonnes of lithium-ion batteries will be discarded between 2017 and 2030 [8]. These batteries will need to be transported to recycling facilities around the world to be processed, further contributing to their negative environmental impact. Transporting batteries from Australia to Europe resulted in an increase of global warming potential of ~45% [9]."

Foreign study:

https://www.autovistagroup.com/news-...ing-8-year-old
I'll preface this by saying any environmental benefit has nothing to do with my desire for a Tesla. I want a Tesla because once I've resigned myself to a car with shitty driving dynamics (re: any combination of turbos, automatic transmissions, EPS, SUV "loo" (any non body on frame SUV), and awd), the Tesla offers tangible benefits in exchange.

That said, I think you're very much misreading that article by the Harvard guy.

"Currently, over 90% of lead-acid batteries used in typical gasoline-powered vehicles are recycled. Compare that to less than 5% of lithium-ion batteries."
That sentence is comparing car batteries to all lithium ion batteries. When you get your car battery replaced, it's automatically recycled. Even if you DIY the battery swap, you get money back when you provide them your original battery.

That will also be the case with Lithium Ion batteries that are used in cars. What people do with their valueless laptop/cell phone/camera batteries is pretty irrelevant compared to a massive car battery, that 99% of the time will be replaced by professionals (that will automatically do the recycling process).

Lithium: is a one time mining process, followed by a decade of use.
Coal: ongoing process, as each bit of coal only can be used once.

The per unit extraction emissions are a pretty useless way to look at things, when you consider the vastly different lifespans of what's being extracted.

Transporting batteries between continents is inefficient, but inevitably the quantity of recycling centers will increase as the quantity of batteries increases. E.g. The gigafactory has a battery recycling center-- so batteries in the USA can go there.

Last edited by Obioban; 10-08-2018 at 09:25 AM..