Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Man View Post
Doesn't the US also have the GI bill ? I know that similar options are available in Canada as well. If you have the grades you can enrol in University and the military at the same time, attend university tuition paid plus $1500/month salary. During summer/school breaks you work for the military and do your military training. Upon completion of school you do your service as an officer.

I think the problem is too many people want a gender studies degree without having to put out the effort. I think those who enter STEM or other professional programs they know they will have to put in the effort both applied and working to support it or pay for loans, but they will also get a good job when they are done.

I think more support should be made for STEM/Professional designations and all the feel good stuff should be fully funded by the student who can then use their barista salary to pay the debt.
1) We don't have the GI Bill anymore, it's been replaced by a new system of similar but better benefits. Those systems, however, require you to enlist into the military first for several years, then you can go to college afterwards. This is what I did. My GI Bill covered $30,000 - which paid for about 2.5yrs of my undergrad. I paid the rest out of pocket via working full time. I graduated undergrad with a near perfect 'A' average, so I received a full scholarship to grad school, with the understanding that I would teach lower level classes while enrolled. I borrowed no money.

2) ROTC is a system similar to what you describe - which allows a student to go to college free, with the understanding that they will have to serve in the military as an officer for a determined period of time after graduation. This is great, but obviously not for everyone - since not all are cut out, nor may they desire, to be in the military.

3) STEM programs, in the form of scholarships (both government funded and privately funded) are very available here in the U.S., but many go unclaimed. So long as someone has the desire, ability, and grades to justify admittance, it is very easy to get a fully free STEM degree here.