View Single Post
      05-19-2015, 10:41 PM   #8114
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisX View Post
Haha I remember Litos giant food thread. Whatever happened to him? Not that I have much time to browse these forums anymore, but in the limited time I do have I haven't seen him around.

I actually had a chance to try out two pizza places in Austin recently: Pieous and Conan's pizza.

Pieous was excellent. I had the "fat queen":

The quality of the meats is excellent, far better than homeslice (granted, I know you're already not that big on homeslice to begin with). The crust (both the literal crust and the "bread" underlying the pizza) was quite doughy and moist. It's almost as though they slightly undercook their pizzas on purpose. I actually loved it and I prefer it that way. They claim that they are neither New York style pizza nor Chicago Style. They are "Napolitano"-style pizza:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neapolitan_pizza

The 60-90 second cook time ensures that your pizza remains super doughy and moist, and you get your food quick!

Wouldn't recommend any of the desserts. I had the blueberry cheesecake. It was pretty mediocre. The cheesecake was good but the crust was a little on the hard/dry side for my liking, but overall it was a forgettable dessert.

The pizza (certainly the "fat queen") is very good and I recommend a visit for sure.

The only problem is that it's a little far from downtown austin (a good 25-30 minutes) but if you're more south austin then the drive is probably not bad. For perspective, salt lick (the original) is probably just another 8-10 minute drive from Pieous.

The other downside is that it's not the best value. The pizzas only come in one size (personal-sized pizza good for one person). I don't recall what the price of the individual pizza was, but for a pizza and cheesecake I ended up spending $22 or $23 with tip (the computer automatically prompted a tip and I gave one on a whim, though in the future I might just decline as this is not a sit down restaurant). I want to say the pizza is $14-$16 which normally is fine for a pizza but for $16 you get 50% more food at homeslice (ordering a medium).

If you and your wife go expect to spend around $40 minimum.

Anyways definitely give Pieous a shot. It has rave reviews on yelp (4.5 stars, 350 reviews and counting)

http://www.yelp.com/biz/pieous-austin
Mate, what a coincidence that you went to Pious. My wife and I were test driving cars on Saturday, and we decided to take the car on a bit of a drive and ended up going to Pieous for lunch. We had read good things, and you can sit outside which is nice. I am going to agree that the pizzas were excellent. We started with the mozzarella, which was very good also. We had the Rocket along with the Brussels and Jam. The dough is fantastic, and the Rocket pizza great. The Brussels and Jam was also good, but not *as* good. Did not try any dessert. Price was steep and I hate the fact that you have to tip even though you order at a counter. I was tempted to just say no tip, but didn't want to be a dick. It was close to $50 for one starter and two pizzas. Ugh.
Appreciate 0