View Single Post
      09-15-2020, 09:46 AM   #22
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9M71 View Post
Like all things in life, YMMV. This is a fault of the installer and not of automotive wraps.
Agree. I had the same issue when I had Ventureshield installed on my brand new Ducati 848. I had a friend that worked at a reputable detailing shop. I mentioned my desire to protect the paint on the bike. He said he could do a Ventureshield wrap for me. Trusting that he's my friend and a manager at said detail shop, I figured I'd give it a try.

When he started to work on my bike, my first fear was when he broke out the razor blade. I asked him if it was a good idea to get a razor blade that close to the paint. He assured me that's how the install is done. After he had finished. the wrinkles and bubbles in the wrap were pretty bad. I was stunned but didn't say much at the time because I just didn't know how to deal with this. I got my bike home to be able to really take a close look at the job. That's when I could clearly see the cut marks in the paint.

The result of this was a damaged friendship that didn't recover and a respray of the affected fairings by a body shop. This isn't an indictment on the vinyl wrap industry. I have another friend that had his pristine Mk4 Supra clear vinyl wrapped. You can tell the installer was very experienced. No wrinkles/bubbles. No cut marks and you had to look for the edge of the vinyl. I have also had my headlights on my vehicles clear vinyl wrapped to protect the housings. The installer I used is also very experienced. No visible cut lines on the clear plastic housings.

So the TLDR, is the installer makes a big difference.
Appreciate 0