07-20-2019, 09:56 AM   #192
CP911
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M240i 6-speed Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
You seem like one of those that would never be satisfied, no matter what they did, even if it was better. You'd find some way to rationalize what you have as "better". The base trim is obviously not meant to go up against a much higher class vehicle, but the higher trim levels should hold their own just fine. You seem to think that the entire cockpit should be CNCed out of one piece of aluminum, inlaid with diamonds, plated with 24K gold and padded with goat leather or something. Either that or you are jelly?

Speaking about chassis disadvantages and exotic engineering, it'll be interesting to see how porsche answers this, if they can. As they push the rear-engine layout faster and faster, it takes more and more exotic engineering to make it compete with more optimal setups, like mid-engine for one. This is no doubt why the 911 RSR went mid-engine. The basic rule here is that you can make something inherently worse as fast or faster, it just takes more money and engineering to do so, which drives up the cost. Active suspension, rear steering wheels, and so on. IME, they should put a 911 style body on the cayman and call it good, but the new C8 should require them to take some more drastic steps, like hybrid drive in the 911 with electrically powered front wheels or something. If you are going to bring up a bunch of negative stuff about a mid-engine chassis, lets talk about a rear-engine chassis and the moment of inertia...
You are inferring quite a bit about me based on my comments. "Jelly" about what? If I like the new C8, I will buy one. That simple. However, as it stands now, I don't know enough about how it will perform under real world conditions and remain skeptical and cautious.

Your analogy to Porsche is totally irrelevant. I never said anything negative about the mid-engine setup. Only about my skepticism over this new C8. And Porsche doesn't need to do anything "drastic" to the 911 platform to keep up with the C8. They've been achieving sub-3 second 0-60 times for nearly a decade now. Also, let's talk again about "inherently worse" engine layout when the future top-dog C8 blows the GT2 N'ring time away. Holding true to the rear-engine layout and evolving it over time is more confidence inspiring than switching to an all-new layout like going from front-engine to mid-engine with what appears like a minimal R&D budget for Chevy. The RSR only went mid-engine because of racing regulations and the insane rear diffuser aero requirements necessary to remain competitive in a few particular racing series.

I'm still not sure what your point was, other than trying to take a cheap shot at me for expressing my thoughts and opinions.