View Single Post
      07-20-2019, 10:07 AM   #193
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP911 View Post

Your analogy to Porsche is totally irrelevant. I never said anything negative about the mid-engine setup. Only about my skepticism over this new C8. And Porsche doesn't need to do anything "drastic" to the 911 platform to keep up with the C8. They've been achieving sub-3 second 0-60 times for nearly a decade now. Also, let's talk again about "inherently worse" engine layout when the future top-dog C8 blows the GT2 N'ring time away. Holding true to the rear-engine layout and evolving it over time is more confidence inspiring than switching to an all-new layout like going from front-engine to mid-engine with what appears like a minimal R&D budget for Chevy. The RSR only went mid-engine because of racing regulations and the insane rear diffuser aero requirements necessary to remain competitive in a few particular racing series.

I'm still not sure what your point was, other than trying to take a cheap shot at me for expressing my thoughts and opinions.
Oh come on, don't be ridiculous, you brought up the mid-engine chassis and how it must have all sorts of disadvantages and how GM can't possibly overcome these with design. I have a bridge to sell you on the topic of the RSR...Speaking of drastic, Porsche DID have to do something drastic, they had to come out with the new GT2 and GT3, in 2017, the Z06 was beating the GT3 around Nurburging. Easily beats the Turbo S. That's not even the highest level for GM, so you can bet cars like the ZL1 and Z06 have forced Porsche to respond with even faster models, but it comes at a cost, especially with an inherent disadvantage like a rear engine chassis. It's still possible to make it faster...it just takes a lot more money, it also makes it easier for your competitors to match the performance when they re-design