View Single Post
      02-14-2019, 03:47 PM   #295
harris69
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1997 M3/4, 1984 533i,1997 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
Thanks guys.....those are probably my best 1 RM's. Crazy thing is I never knew what a knee wrap was until I was in the 365lb range. Had a guy at the gym asked me if I wrapped....I was like what is that. He showed me and my squat took off.

We currently are using a modified Wendler Split, so I haven't tested my 1rm. The program is an app on our phone, and it calculates workload every week based on what you did to figure out a 1 RM.

So my last bench workout was multiple sets of triples at 295Lbs, and then a back-off set of 275 lbs where you do as many reps as possible. I hit 11 reps...so my phone says my new 1RM is around 375lbs.

So the next "wave" it will load all my %'s around the newly calculated 1RM.

Honestly I haven't tried a true 1RM in about 12 months. That was the last time when I did the St. Judes's bench contest. I won my class with a 360lb bench, but I could have done more. I just picked the guy that had the heaviest attempts in my class, and stayed 10lbs ahead of him each lift.

Afterwards when my elbow started hurting, I figured I had been tempting fate long enough, and I wanted to start being more pro-active about my joints and cardiovascular health.

I'm a fitness nut....I get blood-work done multiple times a year, and I have a great sports doctor. So I'm constantly watching everything.

I refuse to believe that you still can't progress even at our ages! It's just a slower process.

I will make sure to stop in here more. I just joined because of the car I bought, but didn't realize there was a health section in it. I think I can be very helpful in some things as I have used a ton of OTC products for everything from general health to my progression in the gym. And I have data from a Dr. who I tell about everything I try and we actually test to see if things are doing what they really say they do. Some is subjective, but others really make an impact.
You and I are similar in our training regimen. I am 40 (41 in March), and I have been training since 2010. Over the years I went from knowing nothing to following YouTubers such as Scooby, Elliot Hulse, Omar Isuf, and shit ton of strength coaches. It wasn't until I came across SL 5*5 that I started making serious strength gains. I was meticulous, and made notes of my warm up sets, working sets and rest intervals. But after doing it for a couple of years I decided to take a break from it (due to tendinitis in my knee, and elbow). I started PT, and fortunately my PT was a powerlifter, and helped me tremendously with getting to full recovery. He suggested that I try Jim Wendler 5 31; I downloaded the app and started playing with it. A year later I had made massive gains, but almost at 40 I was constantly sore, and recovery was absolutely crap. I have since had my blood and hormone panels done and my t-levels are in the low 300 ng/dl range.

How is your recovery with JM 5x3x1? What are your t-levels (if you don't mind me asking)? And how do you keep them optimized? For years I have followed Labdoor, and Examine.com to order and use the supplements but to no avail. I recently started supplementing with Vitamin D3, ZMA ( based on some of the articles I have read) but I am seriously considering TRT if things don't get better. What do you suggest?
Appreciate 0