02-14-2019, 08:08 PM   #296
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by harris69 View Post
You and I are similar in our training regimen. I am 40 (41 in March), and I have been training since 2010. Over the years I went from knowing nothing to following YouTubers such as Scooby, Elliot Hulse, Omar Isuf, and shit ton of strength coaches. It wasn't until I came across SL 5*5 that I started making serious strength gains. I was meticulous, and made notes of my warm up sets, working sets and rest intervals. But after doing it for a couple of years I decided to take a break from it (due to tendinitis in my knee, and elbow). I started PT, and fortunately my PT was a powerlifter, and helped me tremendously with getting to full recovery. He suggested that I try Jim Wendler 5 31; I downloaded the app and started playing with it. A year later I had made massive gains, but almost at 40 I was constantly sore, and recovery was absolutely crap. I have since had my blood and hormone panels done and my t-levels are in the low 300 ng/dl range.

How is your recovery with JM 5x3x1? What are your t-levels (if you don't mind me asking)? And how do you keep them optimized? For years I have followed Labdoor, and Examine.com to order and use the supplements but to no avail. I recently started supplementing with Vitamin D3, ZMA ( based on some of the articles I have read) but I am seriously considering TRT if things don't get better. What do you suggest?

To be perfectly honest, I'm on TRT therapy. I'm 45, and my doctor prescribed it to me at age 42. I was in the mid 250 range. Right now I'm taking 80mg a week. I was going to him once every two weeks, but the half-life of my prescription had my E2 levels all over the place.

I've been with the same doctor for over 20 years and he is very cool about it. I took him in some research from Dr. Chrysler.....I believe that's his name spelling, who is an expert in the field. He suggests a much more frequent pinning schedule. My doctor told me that once I got my bottle, it was my decision.

So about a year ago, I started backloading slin pins and pinning everyday. So much easier, plus it seems to elevate your total and free test with a lower dosage. I probably average 70-80mg a week, and I'm in the high 600's. I could push it higher, but I don't see any need to be at the top of range.

Plus I have a baseline PSA that I test against every 3 months just to be safe. So far my doctor is happy with it. My estradiol and E2 stay constant, free test numbers are good, and shgb is in range along with hemotocrit and hemoglobin.

As far as recovery, I've always approached it as just a training day. Typically it's your central nervous system that suffers most....so my workouts aren't set in stone. If I feel that I need an extra day of rest.... I take it. I just resume my workout the very next day and continue my normal schedule.

It does throw off my training days at times, but I don't mind it. Plus the Wendler hybrid I'm on has a built in reload roughly every 6-8 weeks....and you get a week of active recovery. This is a big factor as most people want to keep pushing those gains!

Remember....two steps forward...one step back. In the long run it really benefits you!
Appreciate 0