View Single Post
      02-25-2021, 01:01 PM   #1424
Murf993
Major
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
The problem in the states is liability, (and I'm guessing Canada to). If said person woke up, drove drunk and hit somebody on the way home you know who would be liable for not making the arrest etc.

I was with many an officer that wanted to cut somebody a break, but couldn't because of that issue.
No problem here in Canada, give them a 12 hour licence suspension, put them in a cab or if you're feeling generous drive them home. Of course much of how this plays out is based on the response and criminal record of the person sleeping in the car. Impaired driving in Canada nets you a one year automatic criminal prohibition of driving privileges and pretty hefty fines, once you get your licence back, it is almost impossible to get insurance which you must have to drive in Canada. The tine for no insurance is $5000 the first time. The other thing to consider is processing an impaired driver from a best use of time point of view is at least 6 hours from the time you encounter them until you can clear for service.

So if the guy/gal sleeping in the car was trying to do the right thing and has a clean recored and was decent with me I'd likely give a break, I wouldn't bet on it happening with every copper though.
Appreciate 1
minn1914037.50