View Single Post
      09-13-2019, 09:03 AM   #303
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynguldyn View Post
The next 8 cylinder M motor is going to be called S68. Most likely, it will be an evolution of S63, not something radically new. I would expect some electrification with the internal combustion side mostly staying the same. Maybe it will be the engine for M5 CS, maybe for something farther in the future - not sure yet.
Cool. It makes me wonder if there will also be an N68 for M Performance vehicles (M*55i ?). That would make sense, since mild-hybridization of all BMW engines is likely to occur over the next few years.

Quote:
The first M Performance PHEV vehicle is coming: M750Le xDrive.
So the question is - I6 or V8. They could theoretically swap the B58 O1 into the existing 45e drivetrain and get a 100hp increase straight away. And they could obviously get even more if they use a more powerful electric motor. That could put them right about on par with the N63 T3 used in today's M50i vehicles. Or they could go with a (detuned) N63 M3, similar to how the 45e uses a detuned B58 M1 (at least I think its still technically the M1), and, even with the electric assist, ends up at about the same power output as the B58 O1 by itself (though its more fuel efficient, of course, which is the whole point).

Quote:
BMW is planning to offer the largest battery among all BEVs on the market at 120kWh. It will go into the model that we haven't seen yet, and I'm not yet going to speculate on the car itself.
My money would be on the iNEXT first, but any pure EV in the 5 Series range and above would be a candidate eventually, I'm sure.
Appreciate 0