View Single Post
      06-17-2013, 06:08 AM   #74
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep
Drives: fat cars are still boats
Location: compensating a fat car with horsepower is like giving an alcoholic cocaine to sober him up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebishman View Post
I just hope AR can make enough of them for the market and that it drives as well as it looks.
With such low weight, high torsional rigidity and non assisted steering whatsoever in virtue of the car's lightweight I'm sure it will drive fantastically. And, that's what intrigues me the most: why car journalist/reviewers don't give the necessary importance to an absolute KEY feature like the car weight?!

Take Chris Harris for instance. We all like his videos but his reviews about the GT3 (and Porsches in general) are getting so old that it makes me feel sad for an otherwise so popular car reviewer. In fact, if you compare his most recent review about the 991 GT3 which now weighs 1505 kg EU Weight (= Weight of Car with 90% fuel, 68 kg driver, 7 kg cargo = DIN weight + 75 kg = 1430 kg + 75 kg) - just for reference the 1M weighs 1570 kg - to his 2009 review of the lighter 997 GT3 gen2 you can hear the same kind of observations and the same kind of only now to justify the fact that a car that has become heavier by adopting all sort of gizmos in order to cope with the increased horsepower has also robbed the driver of his involvement in the process of driving, much like the way the 'heavy pig' Nissan GTR does with all its 'cleaver stuff'.

Chris Harris on the 997 GT3 gen2:

Quote:
The big difference for me have spending the day driving it is this: I think the front end of the car is much better tied down now. That sounds like a real hostile observation but the old car did understeer a bit, it real get through understeer. This doesn't. (...) It's very cleaver stuff! It gives you even more confidence, this car is about confidence! You just feel you can put it so accurately in the road which is a good thing because the old GT3 is a much bigger car now, phisically, than the old RS is used to be.

Chris Harris on the 991 GT3:

Appreciate 0