09-02-2018, 02:19 PM   #1872
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stage IV View Post
Interested in the US-only M2 racing (tentatively) scheduled for early 2020. Would that be a sort of poor-man's CSL because I'm down with not spending $100k on an M2 iteration of any sort.
The M235 racing sold for something around 85-90k iirc. I actually did consider it briefly but the auto box is meh.

I would expect an M2 racing to run a lot more than the M2 CSL but they both should benefit from each other when it comes to production costs for any items that are unique to the two models ( aero and lightweight panels ).

I really feel that many people are simply assuming over 100k for an M2 CSL based on the M4 GTS pricing ... however I think that's a misleading way to begin.

The M4 GTS came at the beginning of the run and many items created for it were unique to it only.

Water injection
Complete suspension
Front and rear aero
Super lightweight wheels (optional)
Zillion dollar OLED taillights

Those items have then trickled down to other models like the M3 ($98k) and M4 CS. ($105k)

BMW has already produced many of the items that likely will be on an M2 CSL. Aero and Suspension will come via the M4 GTS. Many of the weight panels like the roof, fenders , hood and decklid will be from the M performance catalog. CC brakes if employed , also would be trickle down.

One can already see how the parts bin approach makes for a much smaller price tag. Many M2 fans were concerned the M2 competition would be well into the M4 range but it came out at 59k. The big silver calipers were taken form another model. The 763 wheels are already available.

Items like OLED tails can stay in the parts bin for all I care. Water injection is a curiously unique item that could also trickle down from the M4 GTS and really increase performance over the M2 Competition. That could add to the price tag for sure.

Porsche Cayman GTS is 82k and the GT4 likely may hit 100k, but typically BMW is a much better performance bargain than a Porsche.

If an M2 CSL/GTS comes out in the six figure range I simply can't imagine it being well received ( read: it would be a NO for me too!) and I certainly don't anticipate it running more than the M3 or M4 CS in the same way that the M2 competition stayed well away from the M4 ZCP.
Appreciate 1
No Boost4021.00