View Single Post
      11-19-2020, 02:46 PM   #44
BBri89
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320d xDrive M Sport

Garage List
Top 3 car when you're comparing it to the Mercedes and the ("allegedly" illegal) 2018/2019 Ferrari is like saying best of the rest with no real hope of a win.

The 2007/2008 McLaren was pretty much the best car on the grid and certainly on level pegging with the Ferrari then. No other cars came close.

So I still don't think it's fair to compare Lewis and Max's first couple of seasons.

Lewis did an incredible job in his first season. He also had too many crashes in his next few seasons, including crashing into stationary cars in the pitlane in Canada when there was a clear red light.
He also squeezed people or went for gaps that weren't there or failed to concede a place that resulted in contact.

Even at Mercedes the collision with Rosberg in Barcelona was entirely prevented by Lewis lifting off when he was on the grass. He was never going to keep the place and ended up causing the crash.
Rosberg might have forced him off, but Lewis was the one that kept his foot in during an always 100% futile attempt to keep the overtake going. He lost control and hit Rosberg.

So he's made enough errors like Max.

It's also worth mentioning that the Red Bull clearly has a sensitive back end (ooh err) as Albon has found quite a lot. Max lost it in the wet in a corner following extremely closely to the car infront.
If you watch the footage from Spa when Perez(?) has the broken wing and moves across the back of another car, the violence of the wake as he passes right behind shakes the wing loads, but off to either side the wing was still. That's what caused Danny Ric to lose almost all front downforce in Baku when the RBs crashed. It's likely what upset Max's car in Turkey, far more than his driving.

And I say that with some significant credibility in aerodynamics and computational fluid dynamics, although not specifically in the field of motorsport.

My progress thread
Appreciate 4
M5Rick59562.00
MKSixer34173.50
fanatic11018.50