06-29-2017, 11:06 AM   #544
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
It is indeed. I wish I had had a bit more experience before jumping into biking, but you live and you learn. Now I need to sell the Verve 2 and recoup some bucks. (Same thing I tell myself about my camera gear.)

I've been doing 12-mile runs 4-5 days a week. I've pretty much settled on a 75-80 cadence. Last week a father and son duo pulled out of a side street in front of me and just powered away from me. They were on pure road bikes and just left me in the dust. Some of that is just their being in shape and not carrying my weight. But some of it is the wide tires and upright seating of the Verve 2. I test rode a Crossrip 1 from a Portland, OR bike shop last week and loved it. Should have started out with one.
Without ever riding road bikes, it's difficult to look at a road bike and think it'll ever be comfortable. I went into t wanting the most comfortable road bike i could get.

Maybe the shop will take your relatively new bike in on trade? Lots of trek dealers do that. If not, maybe consignment? Much easier for them to sell it than you.

75-80 cadence isn't bad. No specific cadence is bad really. But in theory, training your body to run a higher cadence usually pays dividends down the road and on longer rides.

Speaking of, have you considered making 2 of the 4-5 rides every week a bit longer? Maybe 20 miles? With that frequency, a couple of longer days will do a lot for your endurance. Our bodies respond well to mixing things up too. I know a couple of riders who consistently ride 25miles just about every time they ride. Then they go out on a 50mile ride and really struggle. Even if they did the same mileage and varied the distances they would have a more well rounded fitness range.

I'm guessing you're doing those 12 mile runs in about 45-50min depending on elevation.?.? When i say more miles i really mean more time. So instead of doing 20 miles, maybe just ride for 1h 15m two days a week with a goal of holding your normal pace.

Either way, glad your digging it.
M_Six16825.00