United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i (E92)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundguy1 View Post
9mm is good but 40 is mbetter for stopping power. Hollow tips all day unless at the range. The 380 is smaller than my wallet and weighs less than a soda can. Good for carry in front pocket. Laser turns on automatically when its removed from the holster. Depending on what im wearing its the 380 or 40 for carry. Shotgun for home defense. Rest are for fun, collecting, or range duty.
This is largely false. Well, not so much as false, but rather just as true as saying 9mm has more stopping power as .40 cal.

Stopping power comes from your familiarity and proficiency in using your firearm. A well placed shot from a .38 will have more stopping power than a .45acp hitting a non-vital part of the body.

Today's bullet tech has moved the 9mm back to the forefront in regards to choosing a tactical and defense caliber. The 9mm platform offers too many advantages for the .40cal to overcome. 9MM and .40 ballistics are near identical. Penetration tests show it to be on par and in some comparisons better than .40cal. You can carry more rounds in 9mm over .40cal. 9mm is generally a more manageable round. More manageable rounds are easier to keep on target. Staying on target = more stopping power. Plus it's less expensive to shoot, less wear and tear on the firearm and abundantly available. More ammo choices, etc. etc.. etc...

There is a reason nearly all LE agencies are moving back to 9mm.
I disagree and was under the impression that 9mm is such a high velocity that it doesn't have time to create much cavitation, thus the MANY stories I've heard from people who lived and died with their weapons saying they've seen too many times multiple rounds from a 9mm not stopping an assailant whereas the same placed rounds with a .40 or better yet a .45 have more impact energy, and being slower rounds they do more damage as they go through. I carry a small easily concealed Kahr CW40 with hollow points and an extended clip (mostly because a friend won it in a raffle and had no need for it and sold it cheap). My next purchase was going to be a HK 45 but I have read great reviews of the Ruger American Pistol (probably in .45).

Edit: sorry I didn't read the whole thread first and should have known this age old argument would have already commenced.

'08 BMW 335i, Dinan Stage 2
'14 BMW 535d Xdrive Msport, Stage 2
'14 Dodge 3500 Cummins Longhorn dually
'15 BMW X5M
Appreciate 0