BEAR-AvHistory
2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convrt

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkmil View Post
Thank you for posting this initial thread, it was incredibly helpful. As one other post mentioned, my original grills required more force to remove than expected. I ended up taping off around the grills with painters tape to protect the car. Thanks again!
If you have steady hands I think this tool, gasket scraper, works a lot better than the plastic ones to get the original grill off.

Cup is a medium size coffee cup. Handle of tool broke off about 25 years ago not on the Z4.

Put a number of blue tape strips on the body to build up some depth. Mark the tape where the retaining tabs are with some magic marker using the new grill as a template. You should be able to push & release quickly. Took just a few minutes to remove each side.

Once off be sure to examine the receiving holes on the body to be sure they are clear. Press the new grill straight in by pushing with your heel of your hand.

If you have a gap someplace gently pull straights out to see if the clip has engaged the body. If it moves try a rubber mallet with a cloth between the grill & mallet face to seat it.

If brute force does not seat the grill get a bigger hammer.

Seriously, only two thing might prevent the tab from seating. Debris at or around the clip receiving slot or a damaged slot.

FWIW my grill is a Chinese knock-off. Could not see any real difference between the original & knock-off. Might be some hidden differences, quality of the plastic, but have no way of telling.

2022 M4C - 2020 Z4 M40i - 2023 FORD Expedition XLT Max 4X4 400BHP - 2009 V-Star - 1998 Ranger 4X4 5MT - 1965 Cobra (R) 5MT - 2023 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 6MT

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 03-26-2023 at 07:03 AM..
Appreciate 0