10-17-2019, 09:08 PM   #242
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineWhite_SJ View Post
There is? Does it have decent surf? Is there a part that doesn’t involve sink holes, humidity, hurricanes, an over abundance of retired people, northwesterners trying to thaw out, theme park and cruise boat tourists, and every other headline from the smokinggun.com?

Recent, relatively clean example - https://www.thesmokinggun.com/buster...entence-365912

That said, outside of Southern California, California doesn’t really have what I would call "beaches". Up here we have "coastline" and outside of a crazy heat wave, I agree, the water and weather is too damn cold to lounge on the coast.

Food is really world class - half the produce is local so it’s fresher. Diversity of options really can’t be beat.

Not sure where you were, so can’t speak to the specifics of why you might not understand why people pay a premium (or camp on the streets) to live here, but consensus says otherwise. Now if we could just stop passing some ridiculous policies that unnecessarily inflate the cost of living, that’d be great
I have no idea about surf as I don't surf. The only beaches I care for are the ones with warm water and bar service. I would say if you just want beautiful coast with ice water I preferred OR and WA. You don't like skin holes, humidity and old people I don't like earthquakes, fires and taxes so potatoe potato.

It's funny you bring up thesmokingun and in general the better than thou attitude you see in CA (and other big cities like NY etc). I have come across plenty of creepy hick towns all over CA especially northern CA. My friend with the $500k fixer upper thinks he's so evolved living in CA. I'm like dude, I've been to your house, I know where you live. There's nothing around except farms and the Mexicans who farm them. The center of town is basically Walmart.

As for food, we had some good food in CA but I find the food on all our trips west kinda boring. A WHOLE lot of Mexican food and that's about it. I found the food up the east coast much better.

We were all over CA but spent the most time around Sacramento/SF/Napa, Monterey, Santa Barbara and San Diego (BTW what was suppose to be a like 3 hour drive from Santa Barbara to San Diego ended up taking 7-8 hours with traffic). I've been to LA before, didn't really spend anymore time there this go around as it's not my thing.

I'm not saying everything in CA is a horrible pos. What I am saying is value for money wise there's just sooooo many other places I would rather live. If I was forced to live in CA I would probably choose the outskirts around San Diego. That was probably our favorite area.
Appreciate 0