Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i, 2021 228i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DM6 View Post
Right on time, 29k miles, Michelin Pilot Sports came due for replacement. Road noise was noticeable throughout their life, and I felt driving in rain was a tad bit dangerous. Severe hydroplaning occurred in moderate rain. 78 mph highway driving became 55-60. I settled on driving an alternate vehicle in the rain after a few scary encounters.

Quote from my BMW dealer to replace stock tires came in at $1385 for a set. Built the same set on Discount Tire's website for about $1100 installed. I decided on improving ride safety in the colder months and to make it more drivable in the rain, and went with the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4's. I was able to drive away with the set of All Seasons for $862 installed at Discount Tire (including 10% military discount and a $110 rebate on the front pair).

I am happy to report, the Michelin All Season variant is a winner. Road noise is NON EXISTENT to this point, a major improvement over the stock Pilot Sport 4S I had. Grip on hard acceleration is incredible, maneuvering is sharp and precise. I don't expect at this point to see much drop off in aggressive handling from these tires. I assume there is also some break-in that still needs to take place, too.

Interestingly, I received an alert immediately after driving away from Discount Tire from the dashboard. You have to complete a series of entries to tell the car that you have put something other than stock tires on. It will then tell you to set the tire pressure to the correct setting if they are not at 33 psi front 35 psi rear. Mine were all over inflated by the shop so I had to let some air out of them.

I will follow up in the coming weeks with a report on rain driving/handling. I know some of you may consider this switch, and I'm probably further ahead on mileage than most of you all
I live in South Florida where as you know we have heavy rains and I haven't noticed any hydroplaning on my stock 19 inch Michelin Pilot Super Sports on my 2022 M40i.

Interesting about the road noise and glad you are pleased with the all seasons.
Appreciate 0