View Single Post
      03-24-2024, 07:22 PM   #12
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donut Lord View Post
Yeah like the hurricane literally took the bridge out. Could only get to the island by boat. Amazed at how fast they can build a bridge when some disaster happens but when normal scheduled they take 3 years lol

like the one on I95 near Philly I want to say? Half the lanes collapsed, they did it in a week. If they actually did it normally would be years haha
Yes, that the Philadelphia reconstruction could be effected in such a remarkably short period of time compared to decades of watching it take forever+ for regular work to be completed was instructive, wasn't it.

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––– –––––––––––––––––

The Philly drama reminded me of the I-580 Oakland CA Bay Bridge approach collapse of '07, when a gasoline tanker truck caught fire and dropped a section of freeway leading to the country's fifth most-trafficked rush hour bridge. In that case, it was fortunate it took place late at night and the driver survived.

The state's seemingly aggressive estimate for how soon the repair could be completed was 50 days. One of CA's true originals, C.C. Myers, said his construction company could do it in half the time. Due to his company's history of delivering on state contracts, the state took him up on his offer. The work was completed in 17 days.

IIRC, the incentive was $1 million for every day the contractor came in ahead of schedule. No doubt the state, county, and city dispensed with the usual b.s. in smoothing the way for a rapid return to normal.

Then, of course, everything returned to normal.

Last edited by dradernh; 03-24-2024 at 07:29 PM..
Appreciate 1
Ingraman144.50