08-13-2021, 06:13 PM   #1099
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
Yes there is, but a few miles to get on it, and moderately busy streets need to be dealt with between the house and the trail. I want to avoid putting the bike in the vehicle and driving to a trail. It defeats the spontaneity of a ride.
True, but if it's safer, it's worth it. I live 2 miles from our trail, but to get there I have to cross a main artery (two lanes each direction with a median) with no lights. It often sucks trying to get across, especially when you have an iffy break in traffic and can't get clipped in. Yeah, it takes a few minutes to get the bike on the rack and then off at the trail, plus changing shoes and getting my gear on, but it's nice to not have to deal with crossing that busy road. Plus there's a stream valley just beyond the main artery, so biking to the trail means a steep but short climb going both ways. I really don't miss that.

That said, I'm retired and can plan the travel time into my rides. If I were still working and trying to cram in rides after work, I might not opt for the trail and just stick to the local backroads.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 2
chassis6373.50
M5Rick58881.00