LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntg44 View Post
Why does my car infotainment screen need a fingerprint sensor?

I sound like a scrooge, but I really hate the direction the industry is headed. I just want cars to be cars, not computers disguised as transportation. I'd never use any of this crap. Don't even use the tech that's in my cars now.

In place of a screen, give me an area to mount my phone against the dash that charges and connects my phone to my car's speakers via Bluetooth or some other method, and I'd be thrilled.
A couple of major reasons. The first being if self driving cars become a reality then auto manufacturers will have to have found a bridge between now where no tech is OK to a future where more tech is OK. Additionally, they need you to use your in car navigation system if they'll be able to build the robust data sets they need for a well mapped future needed by more automated cars.

Additionally, I know many people like to use their phones mounted for GPS, but I don't. I find the maps used by Mercedes and BMW (Here maps) to be really good. Especially with the latest enhancements where it learns the overrides you make to routes and takes that into account in future guidance automatically. I've gotten dubious or worse directions from Google Maps, Waze, and Apple Maps. Obviously, YMMV, but choice is good and with AA and CarPlay standard we're not losing anything by not having a dash mount.

I agree with the finger print sensor thing, but maybe it is added as an alternative to your key. Where instead of needing to carrying a key or your phone you can use your fingerprint and go from there. If that's the case I can see the value of that.
Appreciate 0