Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS_SN View Post
https://www.theguardian.com/business...ric-car-market

I think elon musk took on the Germans but fostered the Chinese who have been desperate to break in to the automotive industry which was the only one to not have the 'made in china' tag.
It's going to be fun.
I think it's the other way around, the Chinese fostered Elon, and I've been saying this for a year now: The Chinese BEV invasion is coming, just like the 1980s Japanese car invasion into the west. It's basic Sun Tsu industrial warfare: attack where your enemy isn't ... and which transportation area is absent Western leadership?

BEVs!

The Chinese have at least 400 BEV startups, and had them WAY before Elon showed up, but they're also actively culling them with a *published* target of ~160, i.e., only the best survive ... so why bring in Elon? BECAUSE THE CHINESE DON'T GIVE A SHIT WHO'S MAKING THE CARS, JUST THAT THEY'RE MADE IN CHINA!

The Chinese aren't stupid - they realize that Chinese branding might be troublesome - so they're spreading their bets by encouraging a Western brand because they learned that lesson in electronics when battling the Koreans or in textiles when battling ASEAN.

And, hmmmm, in what other industry did the Chinese pull this same trick and invite in a Western brand with favorable terms and use that brand to become massive ...

#AndroidOnly

Last edited by GrussGott; 04-17-2021 at 05:10 PM..
Appreciate 2
KRS_SN13576.00