03-02-2018, 03:25 AM   #1
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
At first I was thinking EVs should sound like a lumpy-idling big block but maybe not. Maybe a little tricycle bell is more fitting? What do you think these quiet cars should sound like?

From Routers: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-a...-idUSKCN1GA2GV

The U.S. Department of Transportation on Monday finalized rules that will require"quiet cars" like electric vehicles and hybrids to emit alert sounds to warn pedestrians of their approach, extending to 2020 the deadline for full compliance.

The long-delayed rules, which were first demanded by Congress in 2010, will require automakers like Tesla Inc, Nissan Motor Co and General Motors Co to add sounds to vehicles when they are moving at speeds of up to 18.6 miles per hour (30 km per hour) to help prevent injuries among pedestrians, cyclists and the blind.

Regulators said they will consider a request from automakers to allow them to include multiple sounds that would allow owners to select a preference.

NHTSA estimates the odds of a hybrid vehicle being involved in a pedestrian crash are 19 percent higher than with a traditional gasoline-powered vehicle. About 125,000 pedestrians and cyclists are injured annually on roads in the United States.