View Single Post
      09-15-2020, 10:09 AM   #26
TKO Performance
Rep
Drives: Corvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul_Glo View Post
We're having a discussion on UK Off topic of how the 20d engines are prone to "sound deadening roulette." Some are quiet. Some sound raucous. Noise in cabin varies hugely. Might be worth looking into that if you can.
Interesting. Regarding interior tire noise (roar) I wonder if its the car or its the road condition.. Because its the same here. You can take a care with runflats in NY and its pretty quiet. Same car in NJ, TX,CA roads and its unreal how loud it is inside the car. All due to the road. If you have a link I'd like to take a peak. Thank you sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGames View Post
M cars are definitely louder all around. The liners on my M3 / M4 in my house hold are all plastic, therefore gravel and what not create a lot of sound that can be transmitted back into cabin. The wheel liners on my X1, the 550i, the old E46 (all non-Ms) were fabric material lined which significantly decreased the same noise that the M3/M4 generates over the same patch of road.

Couple of other things that increase sound on M cars are obviously lack of sound deadening material, stiffer suspension, bigger wheels / stiffer low profile tires and the subframe being directly bolted without any bushings.
Yes. we are feeling the M series seems to be a little more noisy for the reasons you pointed out.
We too noticed more recently, certain cars had "carpeted" like wheel wells to help mute rocks, pebbles..etc. But it really does not help with overall tire noise from harder compound tires and or runflats during long trips on certain surfaced roads.

My question is would a sound barrier in the trunk help prevent much of that noise from getting into were you live (cockpit). Sometimes its hard to tell where noise leaks in from. My feeling is the rear of the car.

No drone from aftermarket exhaust?

Great feed back James
Appreciate 0