12-08-2015, 01:31 PM   #31
kgroschi
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 08' M5, '09 335i, '18 M3 MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SROC3 View Post
Great discussion here. I've always thought that the all-motor Porsche 991 would be mind blowing.....I finally got to drive one HARD and for several hours since my buddy rented one for the day during his layover here in L.A. It wasn't an S but I still expected something a little more - needless to say I was very dissapointed. It sounded great at HIGH rpms, pulled a little but just lacked the grunt needed to entice me. No I wasn't looking for top speed, or a max-revving, all-motor sound.....I guess you could say that since it was a new 991 I was expecting a LOT more.

That being said - I find that the overall experience of my M4 is just great. I couldn't be happier - even with the non-V8 exhaust note. I have the AWE Exhaust installed (non-res) and love the sound my car makes. It's grown on me and is quite intoxicating. For some I guess "sound" is so important. and I get it. But the reality for me is the overall experience of that "sound". Your car doesn't wail all the time. Mostly we're driving around town, going on nice drives and the occasional grocery run. My car sounds great in all these scenarios where I spend 90% of my time driving (the other 10% is track days or highly spirited driving). Small accelerations, on-ramp/off ramp surges, easy overtaking on the freeways...Just so awesome in the M4. The ride quality is also juuuuust where I want it to be - without being unnecessarily bone jarring. So much win here.
First of all I am sorry you drove the base Carrera. It's such a terrible car. I mean, it would disappoint every single M owner because it's a joke. It still has the great chassis and everything but spending that amount of money on a base Carrera is mostly for people who just want to drive a round in a "Porsch-uhhh" as they call it all too often. Haha

M4 sound. Yes, it does grow on you. I mean I drove the M4 Convertible for 16 days in LA a month ago and I had a great time. While it did still lack in emotion TO ME AND MY SENSIBLE EARS, it was okay. I had a good time. Especially cause it was a stick shift, which is so rare nowadays and thanks to BMW we still get a sports car with a manual tranny. The ride quality is superb, I mean, I don't need a 5 series for comfort. The M3/M4 is comfortable enough. It got to be an ideal daily driver no question. But some people like that more than others

I was more of the M5 V10 SMG guy, who enjoyed every single gear shift of that amazing transmission where most people say "but it was so jerky. My wife would complain all the time bla bla..." Back then, it was so technologically advanced (came straight from F1) and was one of the quickest transmissions in the business and it was such a great feeling to get that jerk when shifting at 8.250 rpm (8.400 rpm for me since I had a DINAN tune). But, that was a sedan with no compromise. It doesn't sell half as good as something that's much easier and much more comfortable to drive, will outperforming the V10 any day of the week.

No question the M3/M4 is a fantastic car, which can do everything very well. That's the car we want to live with. But we all once want that one incredibly hot chic, that is terrible at cooking, horrible at being a mom, and she could screw you over at any time. But she's still fun for a little adventure

Verde Mantis Green M3 F80 Manual
-
Motor Journalist from Germany and BMW Genius
Appreciate 0