08-31-2020, 09:32 AM   #118
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPOWER5266 View Post
Well, we got the headrest out of the seat. It was a combination of the contraption my dad made and hitting the stuck post with an air hammer to loosen up the rust. Yes, everything in these cars rusts.

Untitled by Nick Wood, on Flickr

I took the seat back home and got to work. I did a little more sanding to smooth out where I filled in the pealing leather.

And applied a couple coats of dye. It doesn't look great up close but I think its passable for now.

I hauled them back to my dads shop Saturday morning and then got started on the E9's paint. I love the convenience of my wagon, I can just toss parts in it and have fun on the back roads on the way to drop them off.

I also got started on the wet sanding of the e9. I started off hitting it with 1500 by hand and then 3000 on the Porter Cable.

No going back now. I hit it with a couple passes of Jescar correction compound and a Megs Microfiber cutting pad.

It came out great, but it took a lot of passes with the compound. While I was working on the fender my dad sanded the roof. I don't know what he did but it would not correct out. I made a Harbor Freight run for some Megs 101, which they didnt have but I got 105. I also bought one of their sun match lights and stopped by my house to get the dewalt with the woolpad(this is the nuclear option.)

I got the roof to about 90% perfect. There are some actual scratches in it, so I think my dad picked up some trash in the sandpaper. Its something I will only notice but, I will totally notice it. Not sure what the plan is, I am hoping the polish and coating/wax will hide them a little. I then moved on to the drivers door, with the same process of sanding and microfiber pads but using the Megs 105. It corrected out a little easier but it still took a couple of passes. This light was also making me chase every little mark and swirl, I am pretty impressed, its a nice product.

The door, after correction.

When working the door, there were a couple little spots were there were nubs in the clear. I sanded those spots a little harder, but when I compounded the car those spots corrected easier. I guess I am knocking the orange peal down level and this is making it easier for the compound to brighten it up. I did a small test spot on the drivers rear 1/4 and it confirmed my theory so I sanded down the panel a little harder than the rest.

And this pretty much corrected out with 1 pass of 105. I think this will be my process on the rest of the car.

There are a few small areas that I missed. I have a 1" and 2" pneumatic random orbital kit coming, and I am hoping its going to work for the tight areas. More to come this week.
Looking good. It’s clear the that paint/bodywork is one of your wheelhouses.
Appreciate 0