10-24-2020, 05:15 PM   #108
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TargaM2 View Post
Truth be known I have a few toys, my point is that they are becoming a thing of the past due to this approach of manufacturers simply throwing more & more horsepower at ever increasingly sized barges.
The next standout value drivers car worldwide is no doubt the Yaris GR4. Toyota rejoining the WRC has now given us the next EVO/STI replacement. The US will no doubt miss out again on this little gem but fortunately we in OZ are getting both the regular & hardcore versions. The hardcore version due in approx 12 months could very possibly replace my RS275-R (above) as the basis for my next tarmac rally/track toy.
Surprising that it took Toyota to remind others how it's done, considering they haven't made a decent performance car imo since the ST205 Celica GT4 over 20 years ago. Once again shows that Motorsport participation breeds good road cars.
Toyota has confirmed that us Americans will get a Corolla version of the GR4 Yaris, which should still be pretty cool (should share the same drivetrain.)

Still, at that point it's playing in WRX/STi/Evo/Focus RS waters. The Corolla is a 'compact' in america, while the Yaris is very much a sub-compact, which IMHO is a big part of why the GR4 version sounds so cool. Crazy awd turbocharged sub-compacts are not something manufacturers build very often.

Still, i'm just happy we're getting another compact AWD/manual/turbo/sporty car. You never know if this will be the last one. My first car was an ST165, so there's a little bit of fanboy to my opinions surrounding it, but hopefully not too much.
Appreciate 0