View Single Post
      07-10-2020, 09:14 PM   #1
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Audio Gear (Headphones, Speakers, Amps, DACs)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
I know you're probably going to scoff at that and say you and thousands of other people can hear the difference between product x and product y, but I looked deeply into this and performed my own blinded ABX testing on electronics.
An objectivist! Ha, well, yes, i'm more on the subjectivist side in that I'm a "measurements explain the ear's observation" Not the other way around kind of guy.

That said, I'd offer an in between view: if equipment sounds great to you and makes you happy go for it! If you need measurements to validate or invalidate the price or your happiness, get them! So maybe it doesn't have to be "BS" ... e.g., fidget spinners don't really do anything useful, but they do make people happy so why not?

I agree there's some in the industry with lots of marketing material with dubious assertions but then just about everything does. More, though, there are just a lot of great products out there.

E.g., Campfire Polaris - awesome IEM if you like EDM!
iFi XDSD - great little dac/amp w/ bluetooth
Monoprice USB C dac/amp stick, perfect for cell phones
Bottlehead has great tube amp kits you can make yourself!

And then there's Schiit, Drop, and Chi-Fi (SMSL, etc) who all have great stuff for ~$100.

Anyway, I try to buy from people I've actually met or at least had an extended conversation with and, in the audio world, that's surprisingly easy to do. Kinda unique that way. Can't say that with my car! But it makes me happy nevertheless
Appreciate 2
Murf99314116.00
chris7197363.50