View Single Post
      10-15-2019, 09:43 PM   #125
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by natahoa View Post
You must work for the government. Or a contractor like Boeing. We had great insurance when my husband worked for Pepco in the 1980s and 90s. We got the same deal as the union workers. I’m sure it costs more now, but I’ll bet it is a lot less than most employer plans.
I actually don't. I have also worked for a couple of very large defense contractor companies. None of their benefits are this good. Well, one was. The company was a wholly owned subsidiary to a medium sized government contractor firm until a larger one came in and bought out the entire parent company with all the subsidiaries. The benefits were changed to be slightly worse but have over the years eroded away. Still decent but not as good as what I have now. Before the take over, health insurance was $1. That is not a typo. The execs wanted to provide health coverage for free but due to IRS rules had to charge the employees something. So $1 was the cost.

The current company I'm with...I just started with them a few months ago. The reason why the benefits are so good is because the company prides itself as a great place to work. The company is also on a few of those various lists of great places to work such as Glass Door and Fortune Magazine.
Appreciate 0