View Single Post
      10-23-2019, 03:30 PM   #14
PhizzurpF
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i x drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefneil View Post
I'm not defensive at all. In fact I don't think EVs belong on a track simply due to their current performance characteristics.

But pretty much every manufacturer tests their cars at Nürburgring, and sometimes they crash. Some of those cars are prototypes, others are test mules, and many will never see production. It doesn't really matter if the cars are intended for production or not, the manufacturer still gathers a lot of useful data. For example we can infer that Tesla realized they need more downforce at high speed as a result of the testing.

I really don't see what the big deal is if Tesla wants to join the big boys club by giving it a whirl. And covering up the wrecked car is not a big deal IMHO. No manufacturer wants their wrecked prototype being paraded around for the public to see.
I was under the impression not many consumer-based manufacturers develop prototypes for the sake of racing. Isn't this true? I'm aware the big names, eg porsche, Mercedes, etc., do these prototypes primarily because they are actually in racing classes. I could be wrong on this though.

My point is, Tesla's huge focus is on becoming more consumer friendly "so everyone can enjoy an EV". Which seems contradicting to their streak of runs as of lately, not to mentions Musks comments on fastest lap time.

To me, it seems as if Tesla is a lost puppy looking for its home.
Appreciate 0