Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F22 M240i / E46 330Ci ZHP

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscam95 View Post
I'm struggling to see how this is going to be successful

Polarizing design means half the prospective EV buyers in this specific luxury SUV demographic won't like it. 300 miles in 2022 sounds pathetic when Tesla and others are working to do 4-500 by that time (again not literally right now but when this launches, 2022+). And lastly the presumable price of an X5 sized electric BMW, it's got to be at least $85k+, I don't see this being a massive hit.

I could be completely wrong, so we'll see, I'm okay with that. I'm personally just disappointed in the design of all these new BMW's. I seriously want us all to demand the head designer resign from BMW. This guy does not respect any of BMW's historic design language, and his cars will look tacky and outdated 10 years from now (already tacky). At least the grill wasn't the connected one we all complained about, so that's progress. (You can literally see where the grille was supposed to connect, but now has flat black plastic in the grille connecting the two.)
I was basically going to comment exactly what you wrote here. For a brand new EV being released in 2020 to have such mediocre range doesn't bode well. The front end made me whence in disgust. Really they need to fire the entire design department. Not a fan of the 'stick a couple of tablets up there instead of an instrument panel" approach either.

I know the world is going electric and I had hopes that BMW would by now be offering some decent ones with more traditional dashes and BMW styling. If they wanted to go more "futuristic" dare I say the i3 did it better. Yes, I can't believe I said that but it's true. They really missed the mark on this one.
Appreciate 0