08-11-2014, 10:02 PM   #244
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalko43 View Post
You don't have experience in the matter, so I don't know why you talk with such confidence. The French did "punch" hard enough, they were notorious for rounding up all military age males in Algerian villages and executing them. They deliberately leveled entire villages in order to depopulate areas. The Russians poisoned wells, laid booby-trapped toys for Afghan kids and summarily executed any Afghan male they thought was a threat....They punched as hard as any military of that time could. Their problem was not that hey lacked military power or resources, it was that they never had the support of the people they were trying to insulate from these insurgencies.

Alexander the Great "punched" as hard as well...when conquering modern day Iran and Afghanistan he sacked and exterminated entire cities and towns, wiped out the tribes (women, children and all) that opposed him. He still faced a never ending insurgency from that area. Even when the rules of war were loose at best, combatants engaging in total war rarely found outright success simply by punching..those who found victory almost always had some element of political intrigue and diplomacy.

This "punch" hard until the enemy doesn't want to fight method has been tried over and over again and has almost never worked, especially in counter-insurgencies. There's a saying for counter-insurgencies: "You can't want it more than they do." The people you are fighting for, or the ones you are trying to win over, need to want a political/military victory as much as the intervening party. That's why the US lost Vietnam, or at least withdrew. That's why the French lost Algeria, and the USSR lost Afghanistan, and Sun Yat-sen lost China.
I may not have experience, but you don't have one damn useful idea to offer and you do have a lot of personal criticism to offer. I dn't know what experience you have or lack, but I don't care because having any or not doesn't mean you or anyone else can't have a good solution idea. You don't know me from Adam's house cat and I've about had enough of you telling me about me.

If you really have nothing to do but tell me what's wrong my ideas, and then tell me about me, and you have not one vaguely useful idea of your own to offer, however harebrained it may be, stop discussing this with me. Find someone who wants to read your sh*t and have an discussion that is about something other than some sort of actionable solution.

For my part of the deal, I promise that if all you have to say to me again is some crap about what experience I have or don't have, you will have the last word because I won't continue the discussion.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed