View Single Post
      09-08-2014, 02:30 PM   #86
bbbbmw
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
Well, I don't know Mr. Stallworth, nor anything about him. The thing about politics is that literally anyone can have a perspective on any issue, and there will surely be some community that shares it with them. One may agree or disagree with another's political viewpoints, but one can't call them invalid or wrong, although one can press them to make a cogent case for their position.

So long as Mr. Stallworth sticks to offering opinions that he can soundly support, accurately reports facts, and eschews rewriting the facts, there's little to say he's any better or worse than any other political pundit. As far as reporting news goes, the man's cognitive ability doesn't matter. The reporter's ideas, and those of the new organization, don't belong in a news story.

Being that news, not opinion, is about facts, just about anyone can present them, especially in writing, provided they can write at a 6th grade level. "Who, what, when, where" and "how," that is the realm of news. "Why" and "what the impact will be" is the land of commentary, except when a protagonist expressly offers the reason for their actions or beliefs.

Having said all that, I haven't knowingly read anything the man has written. I may share your view that he is a loon, but I don't think that his being one, and The HP hiring him, is a reason to discount the factual information he reports and that The HP publishes.

All the best.
I agree with you in principle. Here are some of Stallworth's previous writings (they are tweets, as he has not written anything else, nor does he have a journalism degree) - you be the judge if he makes a cogent case, and if these serve as reasonable quals for Huffington Post to hire him:

in 2009: "NO WAY 9/11 was carried out by "dying" Bin Laden, 19 men who couldn't fly a damn kite. STILL have NO EVIDENCE Osama was connected, like Iraq"

in 2009: "Gggrrrrrrrrrrrrr @ ppl who actually believe a plane hit the pentagon on 9/11... hole woulda been ASTRONOMICALLY bigger, God bless lost lives"

in 2013: "Oops, I sent that tweet a little too early like the young lady from BBCNews on the collapse of building 7 on 9/11..."

in 2009: "WOW!!! Vaccines as Biological Weapons? Live Avian Flu Virus Placed in Baxter Vaccine Materials Sent to 18 Countries --> http://bit.ly/1Ijydw"

You may come to the conclusion, as I did, that this guy has no background in anything that he's been hired to do - none whatsoever - which calls into question who the HuffPo hires and why.