View Single Post
      02-21-2008, 03:08 PM   #22
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

My 2c?

Cut out all simple sugars, for a start. Dextrose, and limited amounts of fructose are the exception.

Calculate your BMR. Figure out how many calories you need to maintain your bodyweight (an online BMR calculator will do this for you).

From that point, you want to tweak macro-nutrient ratios. I try to stick to under 35g of fat a day, unless I'm cheating that day (everyone has to go out and beer and pizza with the boys now and then).

For my remaining daily calories, I try to stick to 70% protein, 30% carbs, and eat 200-400 calories over maintainance a day. In my experience, eating this way, you'll slowly improve body compositon, while still building some lean mass.

I reccomend eating most of your carbs in the morning, and/or around workout time, this is when you need them the most. Taper off carb consumption over the course of the day, so you don't have anything carb-based within 4 hours of bed.

I agree with what the previous poster said about supplements. IMO, all you need supplement wise that's all that helpful is a good multi-vitamin, and maybe some fish-oil, if you aren't getting all your EFAs and such through normal fat consumption. I keep nearly all fat out of my diet, so I do supplement with fish oil, but a lot of people prefer to eat a bit more fat, and skip it. Peanut Butter is a good source of most EFAs, and good fats!

Darkcloud:

I prefer morning workouts. Generally, morning is the best time to do carido, because you can give your metabolism a little jump start for the rest of the day. Some people like doing morning cardio on an empty stomach to try to force fat burning. Works great for many, but not all. IMO, it's better to do 20 minutes of cardio in the morning, than do strength training then and cardio later.

Look into HIIT cardio (High Intensity Interval Training), you can get an AWESOME cardio workout in 20 minute using this approach, just be sure to ease into it if you've been out of the game lately.

No harm in doing weight training in the evening. Just make sure you get a dose of carbs before and after to keep muscle glycogen up, and make sure you get some protein before bed to help recovery while you sleep.

For protein shakes, I like Optimum Gold Standard Whey. I'm a fan of strawberry. I like it because it tends to dissolve real well, without chunks, or excessive viscosity.

Creatine is up to you. Definitely optional, not required, but it will make you look a little bigger, and make you a little stronger pretty quickly.
Appreciate 0