View Single Post
      08-21-2019, 10:33 PM   #37
Gesler
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i e90 6MT

I am not sure about alternatives. I have been using google news exclusively since 2004 and rarely watch CNN, NBC, fox or any other mainstream. I do not feel strongly about either party, but am now not comfortable with my news source. The presentation is so convenient however, I canít find any other alternatives.

Now I just try to gauge the bias based on which news entity the article is from and try to sift facts from opinion. Iíve been avoiding google for search, gmail, etc for some years now but it is not uncommon to find oneself disappointed with searching on bing, DuckDuckGo etc.

IMO, trumps biggest achievement is showing that news media are not entirely reliable, at least to people like me. Steven Colbert himself commented on opinion vs fact rampant in media when he was roasting Bush daily. Doctors are corruption is ubiquitous: doctors, realtors, lawyers (needless to say) etc, how come journalists are holier than thou? The problem is that they are happy castigating everyone but they understandably donít point out their own bias, ie, corruption. What I am seeing is the indignant reaction from media that trump won despite their best efforts, and as far as they are concerned, nothing in this country is more important than taking trump down. What a joke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCanuck View Post
And you missed the point. I wasn't arguing their market dominance.

My point was, and is, that it doesn't matter what the search engine is (or the news source) more people gravitate to sources that support their particular world view. You just have to read these threads to recognize that. The number of people willing to engage in factual debate and have their view influenced by fact or reasoned opinion has a limit. You see it on BM every day. The people beyond that limit are not influenced by results that may or may not be slanted because they ignore them if they do not align.

That makes any perceived bias on Google's part irrelevant (and I do not accept that there is evidence of bias but I do not need to resolve that issue to make my point).
MKSixer19800.00
lakefront259.50
Run Silent13198.00