04-19-2019, 07:18 AM   #102
Jim S
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i G29

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe240 View Post
Car handles phenomenally on the 120 mile drive home. Most of it was a huge downpour, was a few hydroplaning spots, but they were very minimal and expected when doing 60 and you can barely see 20 feet ahead of you. Power is so smooth. Better than the m240i I feel and the exhaust sounds much better as well. The upgraded b58 exceeded the first iteration in every way possible. Oh and if you had a first gen b58 and tried to rev the engine in neutral, the exhaust sounded like it does in park even with the valve open. This one actually revs fantastically in neutral and has a nice growl.

Wheels definitely spin in the wet if you get throttle happy, but when it's dry you launch hard. Loads of grip and brakes grab as expected. I will ding BMW for not putting brembos on the back because hard braking I could feel a slight nose dive, but nothing to terrible.

Did 80-90 most of the way home and averaged 25.4 mpg (couple higher stints in there as well). Cruising at 75 though and the gauge sits around 35 mpg on level roads (which is mostly what we have here in Florida).

HK system sounds good, although I wish the subs were under the seat instead of behind the seats. Don't feel the bass as much as I'd like, but then again I didn't mess with the setting for it so hoping I can make it better

Seats are very comfortable for long trips. Took a hot minute to find the sweet spot for me.

Back to the motor real quick; the car feels almost as quick as my m240ix did with jb4 map 5, sport cat DP, Remus exhaust, and CAI. The extra power, and I'm sure transmission tuning, allows for quicker overtakes without having to drop out of 8th gear. Don't feel like the transmission hunts for gears like the 240 did (which was usually a half throttle push to overtake and it's drop to 6th from 8th).

Not sure if anyone else caught it by looking at the pictures, but whoever designed the fill location for the washer fluid, THANK YOU! Open the hood, passenger side front fender essentially, is the washer fill location. Surrounded by plastic and no entry to the engine bay. If you spill, it goes on the plastic for you to wipe up or rinse off.

Overall, it was not a mistake to switch from the 2er to the z4 m40i. At least for me. I don't need the semi useless backseats of the 2er so the z4 works. And that cerium grey doesn't look bad, but I definitely would've preferred the gloss black that is an option on the sdrive30i. I might order those black pieces and replace them in the future, but we'll see. And red mirror caps would've been nice because the cerium grey ones on my wife's x3 m40i have spots on them from bugs and stuff. Never comes as clean as new and it's annoying.
Nice looking car. I think you made the right choice with the Cerium Grey grill.
Happy motoring.
Appreciate 0