06-11-2019, 12:47 PM   #53
Jim S
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i G29

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post

Thus, this is 100% a comfort vs performance issue in that we have high performance brakes which have some comfort downsides because no design is perfect (and you didn't pay for perfect, you paid for performance and you get that).

If you buy performance brakes (and you did), you should expect them to perform - if they do, the contract is fulfilled.
You are entitled to your opinion and are clearly willing to trade off the flaws in the brakes design for performance. I am not willing to accept a design flaw that is causing me severe inconvenience as the brakes are absolutely not performing as they should and therefore are not fit for purpose. Here is my story so far:-

Stones got trapped in my brakes four times in the first three weeks of ownership. I tried the recommended forward and back movements, slow, fast, brake hard etc. The stone stayed put each time. Twice I drove a few miles and the stone came out. Twice, after driving several miles with the brakes squealing like a banshee I had to take the car to my dealer as the stone would not come out. The dealer had to put the car on the ramp and take the wheel off to dislodge the stone, which was well and truly stuck between the shield and the rotor on the front wheel. No way was it coming out on its own accord until it had either disintegrated or damaged the rotor to the extent that it found a way out.

For me, brakes performance is not just about the brakes stopping you efficiently and safely. They also need to perform correctly under normal day to day driving conditions and, evidently, my brakes fail in that respect.

Finally, from what other M car owners have been saying, I understand that the problem they were having related to the rear brakes and BMW came out with a fix for that. My problem relates to the front brakes and may actually be a completely different and new problem.

Last edited by Jim S; 06-12-2019 at 02:36 AM..
Appreciate 0